WHY JOIN THE JAY COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY?
The Society is funded mostly through membership dues and donations. When you join, you will help continue the preservation of our rich Jay County heritage for future generations.
• You will be supporting the Society’s Jay County Historical Museum where we safeguard the historical treasures of Jay County. This is no small undertaking. As word has spread, the Museum has become the repository of more and more historically important donations. Items that might have been lost forever have found a secure home. Amazing old photographs are scanned and preserved or returned to their owners. Over the years, the Museum building itself has been upgraded, and the work continues as we near maximum capacity.
• Members receive the Jay County Journal, our monthly newsletter, with articles about both current events and historical topics. There is also a monthly mystery picture for you to identify. If you call with the correct answer, your name will appear in the next newsletter; if you are first to call, you will be the historian of that month!
• The Society sponsors informative and interesting monthly program meetings for the public at the museum.
• An annual dinner meeting with a special program for members is held in November. At this meeting, we review activities of the past year and elect the board of directors for the next year.
• Membership also provides the opportunity to serve on committees and to volunteer at the museum, which is a veritable beehive of activity. Dedicated volunteers write the monthly newsletter and prepare it for mailing. Other volunteers staff the office, do data entry, organize collections, set up displays, scan pictures, keep track of finances, plan activities, and even shovel the walks and mow the lawn. Members facilitate the Museum open hours on weekdays and the Sunday open houses throughout the year. We also rely on member volunteers to plan and staff the annual Jay County Heritage Festival, our major fundraiser. This exciting event provides history-related fun, food, and entertainment for all ages on the grounds of the museum in early fall. We depend on our wonderful volunteers to make all this and more happen. We cannot emphasize how important they are. Come join in the fun!
• Most of all, you will become an important part of helping collect, preserve, and display the historical artifacts that document life in Jay County and make Jay County a special place to live, work, and visit.